Image Map

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Words to Live By

Bookmark and Share

Photo Credit

There are many words that I try to live by.  It's not easy, but I think it is worth it, when it can be done.  These are the words that I strive to live by (in no particular order):


Activism
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
~ Martin Niemˆller

Family
Our most basic instinct is not for survival but for family. Most of us would give our own life for the survival of a family member, yet we lead our daily life too often as if we take our family for granted. ~Paul Pearshall

Friends
If a man does not make new acquaintances as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man should keep his friendships in constant repair.
~Samuel Johnson

Environment
A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.

~Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Children
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Photo Credit
 Simplicity
To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life.
~John Burroughs

Education
An educational system isn't worth a great deal if it teaches young people how to make a living but doesn't teach them how to make a life.
~Author Unknown

What words do you live by?

PS!  Remember that we're giving away a gorgeous handmade denim bag made by Blue Jane's Handbags for Hope!  You can enter by letting us (and her!!) know that you appreciate her efforts.  After all, she has made over 1130 bags and given over $10,000 to charity!

You have 3 chances to win: 
1)  Comment on our Facebook Page.
2)  Comment on our original giveaway post.
3)  Comment on Blue Jane's Facebook Page.

But hurry, the giveaway ends Friday morning at 8am MDT! :D


 

2 comments:

  1. @Handy Man, Crafty Woman

    Me, too!

    My mom always said, "If you want to see me, come anytime. If you want to see my house, make an appointment!"

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete